The Choose Health LA Kids (CHLAKids) program aims to create a healthy food environment for children in the Antelope Valley by implementing nutrition education and physical activity. By instilling healthy habits through education, the goal of the Choose Health LA Kids program is to decrease obesity and related health concerns in this generation. Project Coordinators facilitate step-by-step skill-building activities in order to teach families in the community how to adopt healthier habits.
Choose Health LA Kids Coordinators also work to improve community health by engaging local restaurants to participate in the initiative by offering healthier children’s meals and smaller portion sizes.
What we are doing
- Providing food demonstrations to provide healthy cooking options
- Ongoing grocery store tours to educate parents and children about choosing healthy foods
- Parenting and nutrition workshops focused on families with children ages 0-5
- Create healthy food environment for children
- Instill healthy habits
- Decrease obesity and related health concerns in this generation